Optical Character Recognition
In this technology era, every business is embarking upon the Digital Transformation journey to stay ahead of the competition in the industry. A crucial step in this journey is to achieve complete Digitization and go Paperless. This can only be achieved through the use of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Technology which has seen tremendous growth in the last decade and has become an integral part of an RPA solution.
Digitization is critical for end-to-end automation of many business processes using Robotic Process Automation (RPA). All automated processes where inputs to RPA Robot are in multiple formats, like PDF, scanned, fax, mail or handwritten – intelligent OCR component is an absolute necessity!
What is OCR (Optical Character Recognition)?
OCR is a capable platform that scans any form of physical hard copy, pdf or paper documents and converts them to an electronic format or soft copy file. It converts various document formats and printed text into editable, searchable text that you can easily index, search with keywords and retrieve the data. OCR can process both structured and unstructured data into a searchable, structured format like Excel. OCR tools also support scripts and text in Multiple Languages and can handle Multiple Currencies.
What is ICR?
AI OCR or Intelligent character recognition (ICR) can digitize Handwritten text – both Regular/Cursive Handwriting and Handprinted text (block letters) into editable, searchable data. AI OCR analyses the handwritten or typed text in images, notes and scanned forms and converts to machine-readable text with high accuracy and ease. They also have spell checkers to rectify unrecognizable words.
How do OCR and ICR work?
OCR functions either by recognizing characters in their entirety (pattern recognition) or by detecting the individual lines and strokes that make characters (feature detection) and identifying them.
ICR allows fonts and different styles of handwriting to be learned by a computer during processing to improve accuracy and recognition levels.
Where is OCR used?
OCR tools are used to extract data from different document formats:
- Scanned paper documents, Text PDFs, Scanned PDFs, Images (Jpg, Gif, Bmp, Png)
- Handwritten Forms/Engineering/Architecture Drawings/Signatures/Company stamps
- Used for Field Level/Zonal Recognition to extract specific keywords
- Computer-generated documents (Word, CSV, Txt, Rtf, Excel)
- Email and Social Media Content
What are the business benefits of OCR?
- Speed up complex handwritten forms and scanned documents processing, so that employees are freed up to focus on more productive, high-value tasks
- Most efficient & cost-effective way to store and back up your company’s paper documents as soft copies
- Digitized documents can be saved in Cloud or any digital storage that needs NO physical space, saving high rentals
- Prevent the loss of critical records in case hard copy files are lost/damaged, thus saving compliance fines
- Digital data can be indexed, hence fast, easy access and retrieval of keywords
- They can be maintained in a digital platform like Document Management System, that can be well integrated with the company’s ERP system, and can be accessed simultaneously by multiple users across many geographic locations
- They act as the key inputs to RPA tools for business process automation
Our Business Partners
We are the official partners with leading OCR platforms like ABBYY, ZAPBOT, INFRRD, Google Computer Vision and MS Cloud Vision.